: Ecocamp Junior Counselor Program 2013 :
We have volunteer openings for summer 2013 and are looking for individuals who are excited about working in a beautiful outdoor setting with kids 5-8 years old. Each volunteer will be assigned to a week of camp this summer and will spend each day on trail with our experienced Naturalists to provide support during Day Camp activities.
Why Volunteer at Glen Helen Ecocamp?
- Ecocamp provides the opportunity to work with like-minded peers and experts in the field of environmental education.
- You will gain valuable leadership skills.
- You will obtain firsthand professional work experience in a fun and relaxed day camp setting.
- Working with children in the outdoors is rewarding and inspiring.
- Participants will be introduced to the process of applying for a job and interviewing.
- Receiving professional references for future jobs and internships is priceless!
Junior Counselor Details:
Junior Counselor Candidate Desired Qualifications:
- Possess a desire and ability to work with children in a camp setting.
- Possess a high degree of maturity, responsibility, enthusiasm, and reliability.
- Must be willing to lead by example and act as a role model for younger campers.
- Although being a previous Ecocamp Camper is preferred, it is not required. All previous campers must have spent at least one summer away from Ecocamp between being a registered camper and applying for this opportunity.
Junior Counselor Candidate Requirements:
- Must be at least 16 years of age as of June 10, 2013 and not exceed 17 years of age by July 26, 2013.
- Must be willing to participate in an interview similar to that requested of full time professional staff.
- Must be able to provide own transportation to and from Ecocamp. During their assigned week of camp, Junior Counselor hours are: Monday - Thursday, 8:00AM-5:30PM and Friday, 8:00AM-3:00PM.
- Candidates' guardian(s) must be willing to grant permission for applicant to complete a criminal background check; cost is $35.
- Junior Counselors must have in-person, basic First Aid and CPR certification by June 3, 2013.
- Junior Counselors must attend one full day of Junior Counselor Training on June 6, 2013.
1) At least two letters of recommendation are required from non-family members who can attest to your responsibility, maturity, experience and/or capacity to work with children. Please provide each of these references with a stamped envelope addressed to: Glen Helen Ecocamp Director, 1075 State Route 343, Yellow Springs, OH 45387.
2) Write a 1-2 page letter stating why you would like to be a Junior Counselor.
3) Complete the Junior Counselor Application Form
4) Send letter and application to:
Glen Helen Outdoor Education Center
1075 St. Rt. 343
Yellow Springs, OH 45387
All eligible candidates must turn in a completed application including 1) a letter of interest, 2) a completed application form, 3) At least two submitted letters of recommendation.
If selected for an interview, applicants should treat this as they would any job interview. Some things to keep in mind are to show up on time, be enthusiastic, dress appropriately and answer all questions to the best of your ability. After interviews are complete, all applicants will be notified whether or not they have been accepted into the Ecocamp Junior Counselor program. Please keep in mind that prior participation in Ecocamp, while a positive, does not guarantee that an applicant will be accepted into the program. The purpose of this rigorous selection process is to ensure that our junior counselors are going to be committed to the responsibilities that will be laid out for them.