: Make it Count for the Birds 2013 :
How many bird species can be found in Glen Helen in just one day?
With your help, we’ll strive to beat our record of 90 species in this fundraiser and birdwatching marathon. Birdwatchers will have 24 hours to search Glen Helen for all the bird species we can find.
There are two great ways to participate:
- 1. Make a per-species pledge to support habitat and ecological restoration in our most important annual fundraiser. > Pledge online > Download pledge form
- 2. Join one or more of our organized hikes to help find the birds! Hikes are open to birders of all experience levels—bring binoculars if you have them. > Download a sponsor form
- 5:30 a.m. Dawn Chorus along the Little Miami Greet the dawn and hear the forest awaken with song. MEETING SPOT: Grinnell Mill, 3536 Bryan Park Rd.
- 8 a.m. Woodland Bird Walk We expect fifty species or more on this two-hour hike. MEETING SPOT: Trailside Museum
- 8 a.m. Pine Forest Walk Migratory songbirds, with occasional sightings of unusual finds like the colorful pine warbler. MEETING SPOT: Horace Mann Meadow, Bryan Park Rd., just south of John Bryan St Park entrance
- 11 a.m. The Homestead Walk The sparsely visited area of the South Glen is home to a recently restored wetland. MEETING SPOT: The far end of West Jacoby Rd. (Access from Rt. 68)
- 11 a.m. South Glen Wetlands The slope wetlands and cattail marsh of the South Glen present a wholly different habitat than that of the North Glen. MEETING SPOT: Greene County Boat Launch at the end of East Jacoby Rd. (Access from Clifton Rd.)
- 1 p.m. Tally Rally Birders share what they’ve found (and what they’ve missed). Nosh on complimentary sandwiches and coffee. LOCATION: Trailside Museum
- 2 p.m. Trailside Museum Sit Bird from the comfort of the Inman Terrace, as we find out how many species can we spot from one 17-foot circle. LOCATION: Trailside Museum
- 2:30 p.m. Prairie and River Walk We’ll walk through the South Glen along the Little Miami. Expect orioles, finches, swallows, and warblers. MEETING SPOT: The Little Miami Bridge on Grinnell Rd.
- 2:30 p.m. Cleanup Crew We’ll dispatch teams in search of known species missed during the morning hikes. MEETING SPOT: Trailside Museum
- 5 p.m. Evening Tally Rally Join our birders for the evening species count. LOCATION: Trailside Museum
- 10 p.m. Owling Hike with s’mores We hike through the Glen in search of nocturnal birds. MEETING SPOT: Trailside Museum
- > Download a flyer with this schedule
SATURDAY, MAY 11 Event Schedule
Also you can enjoy
Birder’s Market Knowledgeable volunteers will host an all-day birder’s market during Make It Count for the Birds. Get the inside scoop on birding books, journals, species check lists, pictures and cards, binoculars, and all things about birds! A great day to shop if you have always wondered which feeders are best for attracting different kinds of birds. Members receive a 10% discount. LOCATION: Glen Helen Nature Shop, 9 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
‘Tools of the Trade’ Presentation for Beginning Birders Calling all novice and would-be birders! Join us for a photo presentation of expected species and basic bird call identification, then head to Trailside Museum for a beginner’s bird watch, followed by a hike to help count species as part of our birdwatching. Bring your own binoculars or purchase a pair at our Nature Shop. Free for Members, or pledge at the door. LOCATION: Auditorium, 11 a.m.
Make a Pledge Now