: Dining Services :
Antioch Kitchens are not a dining service. Rather, students work with a trained chef and farm manager to grow ecologically farmed greens, vegetables, and poultry, to harvest and prepare these foods, and to maintain their kitchen. Sustainable food is built into the core educational experience for every Antioch student.
- Food and beverage purchasing... Antioch Kitchens seeks to utilize sustainable methods of sourcing to minimize the negative impacts of our operations on the local and global environment. We accomplish this by sourcing products locally whenever possible, and supporting organic growing methods.
- Trayless Dining... Students eat family style in Birch Kitchen. No trays are used. All students currently eat in Birch Kitchen. As additional kitchens come on line, all kitchens will be trayless.
- There are always vegan options, and complete-protein vegan dining options are available in approximately 70% of meals.
- Trans Fats... There is no deep frying in the Antioch Kitchens. We use olive oil exclusively for our cooking needs.
- There are no food service franchisees, as the Antioch chef and a rotation of students prepare, cook, and serve all whole food meals in-house.
- Food waste composting... Compost containers are kept in all buildings where food is prepared. Students bring scraps out to the Antioch Farm on a regular schedule. Compost is used for soil augmentation on the farm.
- Recycled content napkins are available, but only used selectively by students. One box of napkins has made it through three quarters of a school year.
Waste WaterRecycling: http://antiochcollege.org/news/independent/2012/0126_vol2_iss1/3580/new_recycling_program_launched.html